Thursday, March 29, 2012

Just what I needed...


Did you ever have one of those days where you needed encouragement so much and the Lord sent it your way? That was me on Friday.

We had several doctors’ appointments that morning after traveling most of the day Thursday & a friend sent me a message saying a group was going to the park. She let me know I was welcome to join them. What did I do? I jumped on it! I knew Josiah would love running around after being in the car the day before & it would be good for him to get some fresh air. So, we went. I thoroughly enjoyed the company of our friends but it wasn’t like I imagined it would be.

It was "one of those days." It was a day Josiah didn’t want to listen or obey. A day where you work & work on helping them understand they need to obey & yet you’re exhausted because it’s not getting through to them. I was frustrated. I was exhausted. I was embarrassed. I was disappointed – disappointed that he wasn’t obeying, disappointed that I hadn’t done more to prevent this moment from happening. I wondered & worried – boy did I worry about what others thought. All I knew to do was to be consistent even though I wanted to load the boys up & go home for an early nap time.

So, we stayed & we worked. It was a forever long playtime.

When we arrived at home, I had a tearful 2 year old, an almost 4 week old with tears and a mommy that wanted to do the same thing. Since we had eaten at the park, I was able to put the boys both down for a nap & I decided to jump online. That’s when it happened – I came across my friend’s blog & it was exactly what I needed. As I read her words saying when you’ve done you’re best & you feel it isn’t good enough, know it’s not but God’s best is perfect – all you can do is pray, I was again reminded how much I need to pray for my children. And that’s what I did. What an encouragement her words were to me that day. They were in fact, just what I needed.

On Saturday, I was again reminded that those days like Friday are refining days. We went out to dinner to celebrate Dave’s birthday that evening & an older couple came up to us as we were eating. They told us how nice it was to go out to eat & see a younger couple that worked to have such a well-behaved child. My heart was encouraged once again & I what did I want to do – cry. Cry because I was happy that all that work isn’t in vain & people do notice that you’ve put effort into raising them. Little did they know the work & prayer that happened on Friday. Are all days like this one, of course not, but it sure is nice when your heart is refreshed because they get it.

I’m so thankful for a God Who hears us when all we know to do is pray & pour out our heart to Him.  I’m so thankful He listens & gives us just what we need at the exact moment we need it.  


~Rachel 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Rachel. Those days are rough (I don't understand fully since I don't have children yet), but it is so wonderful knowing God will help you through it. Also an encouragement to me for the future to remember to be consistent and to fix my eyes on the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elissa! We're praying for you guys! Such exciting days ahead! Looking forward to keeping in touch with you, friend.

    ReplyDelete